During the winter season, I try to use my slow cooker as much as I can. It’s just so easy to throw everything in and not have to worry about it til hours later. This recipe is EXACTLY that. You don’t even need to cook the meat beforehand! You literally toss everything in the crockpot and 6 hours later, BAM. Delicious stew. Serve with some crusty bread and you have a fantastic dinner made.
- 1 1/2 cup of low sodium chicken both
- 10.5 oz can of french onion soup
- 1 cup of water
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 lbs of beef – cut into chunks
- 1 1/2 lbs potato – cut in half/quarters
- 1 medium onion – large dice cut
- 3 medium carrots – large cuts
- 2 cups frozen peas
- In the slow cooker, add chicken broth, onion soup, water, tomato paste, and soy sauce. Whisk to break up and distribute tomato paste.
- In large bowl, season with salt and pepper. Mix to combine.
- Add the seasoned beef, potatoes, onion, and carrots to slow cooker. Cover with lid and cook on HIGH for 6-7 hours until beef is tender.
- Before serving, add frozen peas and allow to cook for 5-8 minutes. Stir in 1/4 cup potato flakes to thicken soup. Add additional potato flakes 1 tablespoon at a time to achieve desired thickness. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with toasted crusty bread.
- As a thickening agent, I used instant mashed potatoes instead of flour! I learned this trick because I’m trying to cut gluten out of my diet. Also, it’s just a really clever way to thicken the soup if you didn’t have flour in your pantry.
- Like a lot of hearty meals, this stew is GREAT for leftovers. Just pop some in the microwave and you’re all set. No need to reheat/broil the meat.